Ingredients For The Dough:
Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Milk - 1 to 11/2 cups
Oil - 1 tsp
Ingredients For The Filling:
Beetroot - 1, medium sized, finely grated
Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
Roasted Chana Dal/Putnala pappu Powder - 2 tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Add salt to the wheat flour along with milk and knead into a soft dough. Finally add a tsp of oil and knead the dough once again. Cover the dough using a bowl or a wet towel. Let it rest for a minimum of an hour.
2. Heat oil in a non stick pan and add cumin seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add the grated beetroot to it and fry.
3. Cook covered for 3-5 minutes, mixing in between.
4. Add the salt and chilli powder and mix well. Fry for a minute and turn off the heat.
5. Add the roasted chana dal/putnala pappu powder and mix well.
6. Let this mixture cool down before you make small lemon sized balls out of it.
7. Dust the rolling platform with dry flour and take a lemon sized portion of the dough, roll it into a small round chapathi(approximately 3 to 4 inches in diameter) using a rolling pin
8. Place a ball of the beetroot mixture in the center of the rolled chapathi and seal the edges of the chapathi, by pulling the edges onto the stuffing ball. Shape the stuffed dough into a flattened round.
9. Dust the rolling platform with dry flour and roll out a paratha with a rolling pin.
10. Heat a non stick pan and transfer the rolled paratha onto it.
11. Wait till small bubbles appear on the paratha, before you turn it around.
12. Turn the paratha around and apply little oil on it. Repeat the step after you turn the paratha again.
13. Once the paratha is nicely cooked through, take it off from the pan.
14. Serve hot beetroot parathas with raitha and pickle.