Chayote - 1(Peeled, deseeded and finely chopped)
Onion - 1/4, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium sized, finely chopped
Garlic cloves - 2, finely chopped
Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - As per taste
For the Tempering:
Oil - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Once the seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions and fry them for 3 minutes.
2. Add the chopped chayote, turmeric powder, 1/4tsp salt, mix and cook covered for 3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped garlic and cook covered for a minute.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli powder and cook covered for 3-5 minutes, if needed, sprinkle some water. Adjust the salt.
5. Serve with rotis or warm rice.
One of my friend suggested that adding a spoon or two of groundnut powder enhances the taste of the curry.