This weekend I got to purchase fresh gongura/sorrel leaves after a very long period. Here is a very simple recipe for preparing tasty, flavorful and tangy pachadi.
Gongura Leaves - leaves of a small bunch or a tightly packed cup of gongura leaves
Garlic Cloves - 5 medium sized, roughly crushed
Tomato - 1 medium sized, finely chopped
Chilli Powder - 11/2 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/4 tsp
Salt - As Per Taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Wash the gongura leaves and pat them dry using a kitchen towel.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and urad dal. Once the seeds start spluttering, reduce the heat to medium and add the crushed garlic cloves.
3. Ensure that the garlic cloves do not burn and fry for 45 seconds.
4. Add the gongura leaves and fry till the leaves wilt and become soft.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes turn soft and mush.
6. Add the chilli powder and salt and fry for a minute or two.
7. If the gongura leaves are tough, and do not turn into a smooth paste, then add the cooked contents to a grinder and grind for 15-30 seconds.
8. Enjoy the delicious gongura pachadi with rice.