Sunday, August 1, 2010
Poha is one item, which we can have for breakfast or brunch or even dinner on a Saturday night. Such is the fascination we have for poha in our house. Its quick to prepare and tastes yummy.
(Serves 2-3 persons)
Beaten Rice/Atukulu - 3 cups
Onion - 1 medium sized, chopped
Potato - 1 medium sized, finely chopped
Green chillies - 4-5, finely chopped/paste
Shredded Coconut - 2 tbsp(Preferably fresh, can also use dry/frozen)
Tomato - 1 medium, sliced into thin strips
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Coriander - Finely Chopped
Oil - 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1/2 tsp
Raw Peanuts - 1 handful
Curry Leaves - 4-5
Method of Preparation
1. Heat oil in a vessel and add the ingredients for tempering. Once the seeds start spluttering add the chopped onions and turmeric powder.
2. Fry for 2 minutes and add the chopped potatoes and the chopped chillies or the ground chilli paste.
3. Fry for 5 minutes and cook covered for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, salt, mix and cook covered till the tomatoes becomes soft.
5. Meanwhile, add the beaten rice to a vessel and add enough water to cover it. Soak for a minute and drain the water from poha. Squeeze the beaten rice with hand to remove excess water.
6. Add the soaked beaten rice to the vessel on stove. Mix and cover the vessel with a lid, cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
7. Add chopped coriander and adjust the salt.
8. Serve hot spicy poha.