I love pop corn and few weeks back bought caramel corn at a local shop. I loved the taste of it, however, it was too sweet for me. Hence, I wanted to make caramel corn or pop corn at home. Went through a lot of recipes posted online and most of them were using corn syrup. I developed my own recipe without corn syrup and the resultant taste was very close to the store bought one, only the color was a shade lighter when compared to the store bought caramel corn.
Freshly popped corn - 2 large cups(you can refer to the home made pop corn post)
Brown Sugar - 1/4 cup
Butter - 2 tbsp
Honey - 1 tbsp
Salt - 1/8 tsp
Granulated Sugar - 2 tbsp
Water - 21/2 tbsp
Vanilla Essence - few drops
Baking Soda - a large pinch
Method of Preparation:
1. Add the salt to freshly popped corn and toss well.
2. Preheat the oven to 250 F.
3. In a small pan add the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, honey and water. On medium heat, mix the contents in the pan until they dissolve and start boiling.
4. Let the mixture boil for 3-5 minutes on medium to low heat, keep stirring in between.
5. Take the caramel off the hat and add the vanilla essence and baking soda, mix well. Once you add the baking soda, the mixture becomes foamy.
6. Place the pop corn in a wide bowl and slowly pour the caramel all over the corn. Toss the pop corn so that most of the pop corn gets coated with the caramel mixture or use a spatula to do the same.
7. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil and spread the coated pop corn evenly on the sheet.
8. Place the baking tray in the oven for 6-8 minutes, take out the baking tray, mix the pop corn well and place the tray back in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
9. Once the caramel starts solidifying, take out the baking tray and transfer the caramel corn onto a wax paper or aluminium foil, placed on the counter top. Try to break the corn if any are stuck, before placing them on the foil.
10. Let the corn cool down completely, before transferring them into an air tight container.
11. Enjoy the home made caramel pop corn with your family and friends.