Its been a while since I bought the Kerala Aval/Atukulu/Beaten Rice from the Indian grocery store. Finally I made a very simple dish using them. The Kerala aval poha is a good option for a quick breakfast.
Kereal Aval - 1 cup
Onion - 1, medium sized, roughly chopped
Green Chillies - 3, chopped
Raw Peanuts - a handful
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Bengal Gram - 1/4 tsp
Curry Leaves - 5
Oil - 1 tbsp
Lime Juice - 1/2 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds. raw peanuts and Bengal gram. Once the seeds start spluttering add the curry leaves, chopped onions and chopped chillies.
2. Fry till the onions become transparent.
3. Add the Aval/Atukulu/beaten rice and mix well.
4. Add salt and sprinkle a little water. Mix well.
5. On low heat, cook covered till the aval/atukulu gets cooked.
6. Add a dash of lime juice on top, adjust the salt and serve the kerala aval poha, while it is still hot.