Puffed Rice - 2 cups
Garlic - 3 large cloves
Curry Leaves - 6
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder/Paprika - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Raw Peanuts - a handful
Roasted Chana Dal - a handful
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Oil - 4 tbsp
Method of Preparation:
1. In a small mortar, add the cumin seeds, salt and chilli powder. Crush them slightly using a pestel so that the cumin seeds get crushed roughly.
2. Add the curry leaves and crush them too.
3. Add the garlic cloves and crush them finely.
4. In a deep non stick dish, heat the oil and add raw peanuts. On medium flame, cook for a minute or two till the peanuts get cooked, add the roasted chana dal and turmeric powder. Mix well.
5. Now add the ground mixture on low heat and mix well so that no lumps of the mixture remain.
6. Mix well for a minute on low heat, till the raw smell of garlic disappears.
7. Now add the puffed rice and on very low heat, mix them in such a way that each and every puffed rice gets coated with the mixture in the dish.
8. Take off the heat and transfer the spicy puffed rice into a dish or container, close the lid after the spicy puffed rice cools down.
Note: Always try this recipe in a small batch first, so that you do not end up with burnt puffed rice.