Black eyed peas are referred to as 'alasandalu' or 'bobbarlu', in Telugu. Deep fried black eyed peas are a simple and tasty snack, that one cannot stop munching on. These baked black eyed peas taste almost as the deep fried black eyed peas, without the extra grease. I have kept the recipe fairly simple by just adding very little salt. You can play around with the spices to enhance the flavor.
Dried Black eyed peas - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - as per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Soak the black eyed peas in water overnight. Drain the water and rinse with fresh water.
2. Drain all the water, add oil and salt to it. Mix well(preferably using your hand)
3. Preheat the oven to 400F. Line the baking sheet with foil and spread the black eyed peas evenly on it.
4. Bake the black eyed peas for 10 minutes, take out the tray and turn around the black eyed peas using a spatula.
5. After 15 minutes, switch off the oven, take out the tray and turn around the black eyed peas once again. Place the baking tray back in the oven and let it stand there until the oven cools down.
6. Adjust the salt and enjoy the crispy baked black eyed peas.