Few months back, I had watched an Indian TV show, in which chef Sanjeev Kapoor of the 'Khana Khazana' fame was talking about his new book based on Tandoor dishes. In the same episode he made tandoori chicken without using a tandoor. Though I did not note down the ingredient quanitites, I registered the ingredients in my mind :). I have been wanting to try that for a long time now. Finally, this weekend, I did try the tandoori chicken recipe. I baked the tandoori chicken breasts and finally finished them under the broiler. The baked tandoori chicken came out very soft and moist. We are definitely going to try this recipe again with a few more variations.
Chicken Breast - 2
Mustard Oil - 2 tbsp
Yogurt - 5 tbsp
Ginger Paste - 1 tbsp
Garlic Paste - 1 tbsp
Kashmiri Chilli Powder - 2 tsp(renders red color)
Chilli Powder/Paprika - 1/2 tsp(Adjust as per spice levels)
Lime Juice - 11/2 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Butter - 1 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Make incissions on the chicken breasts using a sharp knife. Sprinkle a little salt, 1/2 tbsp lime juice and a teaspoon of kashmiri chilli powder on both sides of the chicken breasts and rub them into the chicken.
2. In a bowl add the yogurt, ginger paste, garlic paste, remaining kashmiri chilli powder, chilli powder, remaining lime juice, salt, garam masala and the mustard oil. Mix well.
3. Add the chicken breasts to the marinade, mix well using your hands so that the marinade gets coated evenly on the chicken breasts. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Line the baking sheet with a foil and spray a little cooking spray on it.
5. Place the marinated chicken breasts on the baking sheet, keep aside the left over marinade, we can use it to baste the chicken later.
6. Bake the chicken breasts for 25 minutes, take them out and apply the remaining marinade on the either sides of the breasts and put them back in the oven for 15 minutes.
7. Take out the chicken breasts and apply a little butter on either sides. Bake them for 10 minutes.
8. Once the chicken is cooked through, put the baked chicken under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until it is charred a little bit.
9. Slice the baked tandoori chicken breasts and enjoy with onion rings.
Sending this recipe to 'Anyone Can Cook- Series 5' being hosted by Ayeesha and Girlichef's 'Hearth n Soul'