Banana peppers are widely available in most of the grocery stores here in US. Back in India, my mom used to make a simple banana peppers fry by adding roasted chana dal/daliya/poppula podi. Today I made a spice mix and used it to add flavor to the dish. I also added potatoes to it, you can even avoid using potatoes and make this dish using only the banana peppers. The banana peppers i used were a little spicy, so I added a little amount of chilli powder, it is better to taste the peppers while they are being cooked before adding chilli powder to the dish.
Banana Peppers - 5, slit them open, discard seeds, finely chop them
Potatoes - 2, medium sized, finely diced
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp(adjust according to spice levels)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
For the Spice Mix:
Bengal Gram/Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Chana Dal - 1 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 8
- Dry roast all the ingredients, cool them and grind them
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a non stick pan, add cumin seeds, after they start spluttering, add the chopped potatoes and banana peppers. Mix well, add a little salt and cover the lid.
2. Keep stirring in between, if needed sprinkle a little water.
3. Once the peppers and potatoes are 3/4 th cooked, add the ground spice mix, chilli powder and mix well.
4. Adjust the salt and cook covered till the potatoes and banana peppers are completely cooked through.
5. Serve the banana peppers potato fry with steamed rice or rotis.