Today I made a very simple chayote fry and it turned out to be an instant hit. The addition of peanut powder accentuates the taste of chayote.
Chayote - 2, medium sized, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
Onion - 1, small sized, finely chopped
Garlic - 3 large pods, finely chopped
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Green Chillies - 4, finely chopped
Coriander/Cilantro - 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Roasted Peanut Powder - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a pan and add the cumin seeds, once they splutter add the chopped onions and garlic. Fry till the onions become translucent.
2. Add the chopped chayote, turmeric powder and salt, mix well and cook covered. Stir in between.
3. Once the chayote is half cooked add the chopped chillies and cilantro, mix well and cook covered.
4. Once the chayote is cooked through, add the peanut powder, mix well and adjust the salt.
5. Serve the Chayote/Bangalore vankaya curry with steamed rice or rotis.