Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kashayam (A Herbal remedy for Cold & Flu)

As a kid I was so scared of kashayam. My mom used to make kashayam when any of the family members got sick, especially when one had a sore throat or cold. Last year when my husband was down with a severe cold, I made this for the first time. At first, he was apprehensive and didn't want to drink it, but when I insisted, he had the kashayam and to my relief, his symptoms of cold started disappearing. Today when I was wondering what to post, my dearest hubby reminded that since flu is in season, why not a post on kashayam...
With only 5 ingredients and hardly 10 minutes to prepare, one can easily tailor make kashayam as per their taste.

Ingredients:(Makes 2 cups)
Powdered Jaggery - 2 tbsp
Peppercorns - 10, roughly crushed
Grated Fresh Ginger - 1 tbsp
Water - 11/2 cups
Milk - 1/2 cup

Method of Preparation:
1. Heat the water in a vessel until it boils and add the powdered jaggery, crushed peppercorns and grated ginger.
2. Boil for around 5 minutes before adding the milk to it.
3. Boil for 3 minutes. Strain the kashayam using a strainer.
4. Serve the kashayam hot.

5 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails