Red bell pepper is supposed to have higher amount of vitamin C. I made a very simple chutney using roasted bell pepper and the outcome was simply yummy :). I roasted the bell pepper on direct flame, you can also do the same in an oven too.
Roasted Red Bell Pepper - 1, medium sized, roughly chopped(discard the seeds, stem and peel off the blackened skin)
Onion - 1 small, roughly chopped
Dry Red Chillies - 3
Bengal Gram/Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Garlic - 2 large pods, roughly chopped
Tamarind - a small marble sized, soaked in little warm water
Roasted Peanuts - 2 tbsp
Oil - 1 tsp
Salt - As Per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. In a small pan heat oil and add bengal gram and dry red chillies. Fry till the dal turns golden brown.
2. Add the chopped garlic and onions and fry till the onions turn transparent.
3. Let the above mixture cool down. Add the chopped roasted bell pepper, the fried mixture, peanuts and salt to a grinder and make a coarse powder.
4. Add the soaked tamarind and a little water and grind to a smooth consistency.
5. Adjust the salt and enjoy the roasted red bell pepper chutney with rotis or rice.
Tip: For roasting the bell peppers in oven, you can refer to this link
Sending this recipe to 'food palette series' being hosted by 'Akheela'