I made this yummy dish last week for thanksgiving. It was almost like an apple upside down cake. The bottom layer was apples, which were topped with almond batter. It almost tasted like almond biscotti with baked apples at the bottom. This is a dish definitely worth trying !!!
Golden Delicious/McIntosh/Cortland Apples - 5(about 2 lbs)
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
Granulated Sugar - 1 cup
Eggs - 2
Almond Extract - 1/4 tsp
All Purpose Flour -1 cup
Butter - 1/2 cup, melted
Toasted Almonds - 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Butter a 2 quart baking dish or a round souffle dish.
2. Peel, halve and core the apples. Dice the apples into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Add the apples to a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of sugar and vanilla extract. Spread the apples in the bottom of the prepared dish.
4. In the same bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining sugar, almond extract and salt until blended. Add the flour and melted butter and beat until smooth. Stir in the chopped almonds.
5. Spread the batter evenly over the apples. Bake until the top turns golden and the apples can be pierced easily with a thin sharp knife, around 50-60 minutes.
6. Serve the pudding warm.
Sending this to Champa's 'Bake-off'