Besan Saag is a simple yet delicious curry that is best paired with Pooris. This is my mom's recipe.
Besan/Chickpea Flour/Senagapindi - 4 tbsp
Onion - 1 medium sized, sliced length wise
Potato - 1 medium sized, peeled and diced
Carrot - 1 medium sized, peeled and sliced
Tomato - 1 medium sized, diced
Green Chillies - 3, slit length wise
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
Water - 3-4 cups
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Chopped Cilantro/Coriander - 1/2 tsp
Salt - As per taste
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and add mustard seeds. After they splutter add cumin seeds. Add turmeric powder, chopped green chillies, onions, carrots and potatoes and mix well.
2. Fry till the vegetables are half cooked. Then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well. Cook till the tomatoes soften a little bit.
3. Then add the water and salt and wait till the water starts boiling.
4. Meanwhile add the chickpea flour to a small bowl and add water to make a paste. Ensure that no lumps form.
5. After the water starts boiling, add the chickpea flour paste, stir well and reduce the temperature to medium low. Let the curry simmer for 3-4 minutes. If the curry is too thick, add a little hot water to get the desired consistency.
6. Finally add the garam masala and chopped cilantro, mix well and turn off heat.
7. Serve the besan saag hot with pooris.